I got 5 specific fruits! Ever wondered if specific juicing recipes and weight loss go hand in hand? I have too, so I set out to see if I can discover a definitive answer. Quick answer? Yes specific fruits and other foods can help with weight loss. I’m sure that over the years you have read, like I have various trends, that this fruit, or this veggie actually attacks fat and such. I think we will find that some specific items do chemically help fight fat. Beyond that a lot of I tis just plain calorie reduction. So lets jump in and see what we see!!
First things first…
My base belief for weight loss is, a person loses weight pretty much by a fairly rigid set of rules. Intake of calories vs working off those calories. I also know without a doubt that isn’t the whole picture. Example when I was on my juicing fast I was exercising every other day, along with the fast. This went on for about 6 months. My body became conditioned to this state. When I returned to my old habits my bodies metabolism stayed at the dieting rate for months after. It literally took over 3 months of bad behavior to start reversing all of the good effects of the fast and exercise. I also believe the exercise actually changed my bodies chemistry, which I also believe specific foods can as well.
Lets take a look at specific foods.
Just like there are specific foods that assist with everything from improving eyesight to building muscle mass. I believe there are foods that help assist with burning fat.
First on the list is….. Oats, and beans! why? it contains resistant starch, which actually boosts metabolism and burns fat. It is also high in fiber providing a full feeling that helps control appetite. The link is to health.com which I know nothing about other than that was a good article.
With this being a juicing website, I will break out the rest of the list for the juicing community. I am sure there are some other fruits and veggies that have a direct effect on weight loss and fat burning, but these are my favorite, and the one that made the list to share with you.
Here is an easy list:
- Grapes ~ Fit well with juicing and smoothies. The skin contains resveratrol which actually helps stop fat storage. I like to mix grapes in with many different juices that I make.
- Pineapple ~ Purdue University found that, bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple and is thought to help reduce appetite, and enhance fat excretion.
- Bananas ~ contains resistant starch, particularly when slightly green. Add these to smoothies always, nice sweet taste and tons of great nutrients.
- Tart Cherries ~ have high levels of Anthocyanins, which helps burn fat. Tart cherry juice have many other beneficial properties you can read about by following the link
- Berries! ~ blueberries, strawberries, black berries, are all high in polyphenols is a chemical that helps burn fat, and even helps decrease fat formation Check out this study.
- Fruits and veggies that are high in fiber. I put this in even though I am focused on juicing which takes the fiber out, but I do also advocate for using smoothies. The high fiber content doesn’t have a fat fighting aspect per se, but does provide a full feeling with very few calories.
If you have poked around my sight you will read that I am not big on recipes. I think they limit our creativity, but more importantly I feel that each fruit and vegetable has a unique chemical structure that has many different health benefits. I prefer to add as many different items to each juice creation as possible. I have a few staples such as apples, cucumbers and spinach, but then add multiple others.
To make it official here is a recipe for you.
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 cucumber
- 1 apple
- 1/4 pineapple
- handful of tart cherries, (pit first please)
- handful of blueberries
- handful strawberries
- Sprig of Parsley
- Sprig of fresh sage, (careful with this, strong flavor)
- teensy bit of ginger, (careful with this, strong flavor)
- a couple of leaves of mint, (careful with this, strong flavor)
It takes a little practice to get amounts correct, but that for me is what is fun about juicing, that and losing all the fat!!